The community was designated the county seat in 1846 which created Grayson County.
In 1848, the City of Sherman was transplanted four miles to its present site because of a lack of wood and water
Sherman became an incorporated town under Texas law by 1850.
The first flour mill was built in 1861.
Sherman was known as an educational and religious center from the beginning.
The first school was founded in 1849 and located on North Crockett Street.
The first stage line- the Butterfield-Overland Stage- arrived in Sherman on September 20th, 1858 and was the first mail route west of the Mississippi. It was the longest stage line in the world and covered a distance of 2,795 miles.
Sherman earned the nickname “The Athens of Texas” in the 1870s as many institutions of higher learning found their way to Sherman.
Austin College, the oldest continuously operating college in Texas, relocated from Huntsville to Sherman in 1876. Founded in 1849, it is the oldest college or university in Texas operating under its original charter.
The Sherman public school system was established in 1883.
In 1901, the first electric interurban railway in the state was established between Sherman and Denison, and later extended to Dallas.
During the 1950s and 1960s, the city saw a surge in industrial growth. To this day, Sherman maintains an exceptional industrial base for a city her size.
The city was named after Gen. Sidney Sherman, a hero of the Texas Revolution.